Monday, October 24, 2011

Thursday, October 20th …..

I apologise that this post is out of order but I don't know of any easy way to get it into the right place. I could, of course, delete the three which should follow it, post this one where it should be, and re-build the ones which should follow. What a bore! I'm sure you can work it out.

I’ve been waiting for this weekend for a long time, worrying whether my leg would be OK or whether I would have to cancel at the last minutes. But, no problem, and here I am at the airport waiting for the big grey bird to fly me to Sydney on the first leg of the journey to Canberra for the Nepal Reunion. It is shaping up to be a most enjoyable get-together.

Because I have about an hour to waste, I buy a coffee and bun and look for a seat in the arrival area, near the luggage carousels. It’s quiet here because no planes are due for a while. A young woman comes in, walking briskly and pulling a large purple suitcase. She heads straight for the Budget Rent-a-Car desk and hands over her documentation. Clearly she thinks she is at the check-in area for flights so she has to be gently put straight and directed to the other end of the terminal. As Effy would say, How embarrassment!

I watch her as she heads through the terminal and pauses at the security check-in. I breathe a sigh of relief as she moves on in the right general direction. Hopefully, she finds the right desk and gets clearance to board the ‘plane. It’s easy to get blasé about flying and the routine at the airport but, if you’re a novice, it can be quite daunting. Launceston airport has been refurbished lately and the rent-a-car booths have been situated where the Virgin check-in used to be. It would be an easy mistake to make if you haven’t travelled recently.

Anyway, the flight is uncomplicated and arrives in Sydney just a few minutes late. As arranged, Marilyn is waiting for me in the Arrival area and we collect my suitcase and head for the trains to make our way to Oak Flats where Robyn will pick us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment