Thursday, October 13, 2011

Friday, October 14th …..

I drove the car last night, for the first time in more than 6 weeks. The doctor suggested I should hold off for another couple of weeks, but our car allows me to adjust the seat so that it is nicely set up for someone who has just had a hip replacement – much higher than normal with a flat pitch so my knees are lower than my hips.

Jamie rang to say his car had broken down on the way home and he was stranded in the middle of nowhere. He was going to ring the RACT but I decided I would drive out to sit with him to make sure he wasn’t stranded. I was quite looking forward to getting behind the wheel again but, when I had adjusted the seat and turned the ignition key – nothing! Several more turns produced no more than a few clicks. So I rang the RACT as well. Very busy, they said, but we’ll be there as soon as we can.

Two hours later …. the van arrived, nice young man but a bit stressed, clearly feeling the pressure of many irritated clients who had been waiting just a bit too long. Your battery’s dead, he says, and you’ll need a new one. $155 later, he has it fitted and I’m on my way.

By this time, Jamie has been waiting for more than two hours on a lonely stretch of road in the dark so I suggested we abort the call to the RACT and try again in the morning.

This morning we waited over an hour until the van arrived. You need a new battery, said the serviceman. Only $137 this time but it did fix the problem.

I’m surprised at the number of people who state that they don’t believe in coincidences. I think believing in coincidences is the only position a rational person can have. If it’s not a coincidence that Jamie and I each needed a new battery within 15 minutes of each other, it must be the work of aliens or a plot by the RACT to drive up the sale of batteries, neither of which I can accept. So, it was a coincidence although I still have a nagging feeling that we’ve been conned.

No comments:

Post a Comment