Saturday, April 13, 2013

Thursday, April 11th .....


We went into Glasgow today on the bus.  Jean and Sandra walk everywhere which suits me find but they don't usually stop for a cup of coffee and that's against my nature.  Sandra had booked us on the tourist bus; it was too cold and wet to go upstairs so we huddled on the bottom deck.  Glasgow has some beautiful buildings but there are some  pretty shabby areas too.

I was particularly impressed with Glasgow University which has is spectacular and Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.  Across the road from Kelvingrove is Kelvin Hall where I remember going as a kid to see a circus. Both these places are named after Lord Kelvin who worked at Glasgow University in the field of thermodynamics.

I'm a fan of Taggart on TV which has a background of the Scottish Exhibition Centre in its opening sequence.  I always think it looks like a poor man's Opera House.  It's not as big as it appears on the screen.  They're building a new, fantastic Concert Hall beside it and they're already taking bookings for performances in September.  It doesn't look to me that it will be finished.

The commentary on the bus was by Neil Oliver who presented the TV series Coast and History of Scotland, but it didn't matter because it stopped working on our section of the bus so we just enjoyed the sights with no explanation.

I had booked in to go to Rotary tonight and I was made very welcome.  The guest speaker, a man of my age, told us about his trip to Everest Base Camp.  He made a fabulous trip seem mundane by his focus on distances, names of places and other trivial details, but what an achievement!

Edinburgh tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment