Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wednesday, April 17th .....

I finally made it to Inverbervie Library this morning. I was a bit disappointed with what information was available but I  spent a couple of hours browsing through their family history resources which was interesting, if not particularly relevant. The librarian said, "you'll hae a guid Gourdon name, then?"  And nodded when I said Christie.  One good thing was that there was a box of home-made 'tablet' on the counter.  Tablet is a healthy Scottish sweet made with condensed milk, sugar and butter.  I bought a piece, purely for nostalgia's sake but was horrified to find that the maker had put vanilla in it.  I can't believe that someone would play havoc with a good  traditional recipe.

The weather was shocking, cold and wet so I caught the bus to Johnshaven to get some pictures.  A woman at the bus stop suggested I knock on a door where one of the local historians lived but I discovered him heading off to a funeral.  

I watched all the cars turning up for the funeral and I have to say that Johnshaven drivers are no better than Australians.  The streets here are narrow and winding so parking is an issue but drivers seem to show no common-sense or skill, leaving their car where it stops with no consideration for others.  Opposite the bus stop was a space where 6 cars could have fitted but there were only 4 there.  Another fellow parked overlapping a corner with his tail sticking out.

This was near the bus stop so, when the double-decker bus arrived, it couldn't get into its normal spot and had to back up the hill until it could reverse into a handy street before it could continue on.  The driver must have been cursing (under his breath, so as not to frighten the old lady passengers).

It's been fantastic to re-visit the place where my father's family lived out their lives.  I was glad the weather wasn't perfect or I might have a rose-coloured view of their existence.  With the cold and the rain I have a clearer picture of the struggles of the fishermen who put to sea in all weathers, and their wives who got up at 4.30 every morning to bait the lines.  It must have been a harsh and unforgiving lifestyle yet they still enjoyed some simple pleasures.  There were dances and ceilidhs and the celebration of weddings and births. The men played football and met in the pubs after work.  The men also volunteered for lifeboat duty and there  was a little extra money to be made here.  On February 16th, 1894, my great-grandfather John Christie, was in the crew of the lifeboat which set out in a storm to rescue sailors from a sinking ship.  He was paid 15 shillings which would have been a very handy addition to the family income.  He went out again on April 15th 1900 and received 10 shillings. On that occasion they simply had to stand by while some sailing ships made it safely into harbour.

There was a Christie - John, George, David or Alexander - in almost of the lifeboat sailings in those days, but I don't think there are any Christies left in the town today.  



No comments:

Post a Comment