Thursday, April 6, 2017

Friday, April 7

Having picked up Brian and Margaret in Hobart, we made our way to Port Arthur, along with hordes of other people intent on exploring this bit of Tasmanian history. It turned out to be a day of celebrity spotting. Next to us in the line to pay was Senator Doug Cameron and his wife. I've always thought of him as more principled than most politicians; he says what he means and doesn't always toe the party line. I notice he will resign at the next election so I suppose we will see some younger, glossier party apparatchik nominated to take his place.

While we were waiting, we had a chat and he told me lives in Katoomba. All very pleasant and polite.

The other celebrity we saw was Lindsay Fox, larger than life and surrounded by a group of young boys. He climbed on to a people mover we had requisitioned and sat beside Marilyn who immediately engaged him in conversation: are they your grandchildren? How many do you have? Etc.

it turns out he (a careless Protestant) and his wife (a good Catholic) had six children), all of whom are now producing. He takes the boys for excursions, while his wife takes the girls. Marilyn said, 'If it were me, I would want to take the boys some of the time' and Lindsay replied, 'But I don't have to sleep with you.'

He told us he has just come back from Seattle where he was talking to Amazon. With their plan to set up in Australia, I reckon Lindsay is trying to get their delivery contract. You read it here first.

This picture was taken at the Waterfront Cafe in Dunalley:

No comments:

Post a Comment