Monday, May 29, 2023

Tuesday, May 30

I've had my few days break and am back on deck, fit and rearing to go.  I had planned a fortnight away from the gym but a week has proven to be enough and I was back there this morning. I had to wait for Jamie to come and pick me up so I had a chance to watch a couple of videos on YouTube.  I have a couple of favourites: a fellow called Scott from Paisley. and Steve from Montrose.  They're both in Scotland so I get a chance to see corners of the UK and Europe that I will never get to visit.

I decided I wanted to contact Steve to ask him whether be might do a video of the coastal walk through the fishing villages of his part of the world.  I've walked from Johnshaven to Gourdon, first in 1950 and then again the other way in 2012.  So I looked up his website and found, to my dismay, that he does this for money!  I noted that his videos all finish with a stream of names across the screen.  Nice, I thought, but, apparently they are the mugs who pay him a monthly charge to keep him travelling.

I did some sums: 338 subscribers at 6 pounds per month is 24312 pounds per year.  At today's exchange rate that is nearly 446000 Australian dollars.  Money for jam!

Scott is more generous. He self-funds all his trips so he gets my nod of approval.

I came across another Youtube traveller this morning. He carries a crocheted turtle with him and sets himself odd tasks: for example, how many countries can I visit in 24 hours using only public transport?  He's a bit hard to understand but I might get used to it.  I think his channel is called Travelling Turtle.


1 comment:

  1. You need a new calculator! 338 subscribers x $6 x 12 months is 24336. Exchange rate at $1.90 per pound sterling is $46,238 dollars

    ReplyDelete