Friday, July 20, 2012

Friday, July 20th .....

We’ve had a day of cooking.  Marilyn came home with a shopping bag full of lemons so I turned some of them into Lemon Butter.  I found a couple of recipes on the internet so I made a batch of each to compare them.  No contest ... one was sweeter than the other so that will get the flick.  I’ve started to use the microwave more and more when I make jams and so on and it’s magic.  The first batch today only took three minutes to cook, the second took five.  When I look back on the days of double boilers and constant stirring, I appreciate advances in technology even more.
Over the past few weeks, we’ve been making various soups to get us through the winter chills.  A $2 pumpkin from a roadside stall will make 2 batches.  Sometimes we add potatoes or sweet potatoes for variety but the basic recipe is always good.  I’ve made similar soups with different bases: broccoli, cauliflower, turnips, carrots, etc.  We sometimes replace the onion with a leek and try different herbs and spices, and even cheese.

This week, I found a recipe for Cream of Cauliflower soup with grated parmesan and mustard.  It’s a Neil Perry recipe and I found it on a QANTAS site: someone saying they had it in First Class on an A380 and wanted to make it at home.  It is fantastic.  Marilyn brought a recipe for Curried Carrot soup home from Mudgee and it’s good too, but I’m particularly fond of a Turnip Soup with Bacon. That’s the one I made today and Marilyn is making Roasted Pumpkin and Thyme with Gruyere Cheese.

There’s not much to look forward to in a Tasmanian winter so, if we can find pleasure in a series of hearty soups, that’s all to the good.

As an aside: every day I realise how the world is moving further and further away from where I am.  I was sitting in the Pharmacists (we older folk do this more and more often) and noticed a little box on the bottom shelf with the word Marijuana on it.  No, it wasn’t the dreaded weed but a do-it-yourself detection kit so you can make sure you won’t trigger the police drug-testing apparatus if you’re pulled over when you’re driving home after a party. It wasn’t like this in my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment