Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday, 2nd July .....

Today, I had twenty minutes to spare before an appointment so I stopped at a little picnic spot in St Leonards to read my book.  It’s quite a pretty area with a stream running through and it’s popular with campervans looking for a free overnight stop.  Although I wasn’t eating anything, I was mobbed by a flock of chooks expecting a handout.

 I’ve seen seagulls, pigeons, ducks and even pelicans scrounging, but I’ve never seen an organised flock of domestic chickens before.
And these weren’t your average White Leghorn or Rhode Island Red; there were some quite exotic breeds among them.  I suppose someone thinks he owns them but they certainly have a life of their own outside the chook pen.

I was sent a Grammar Quiz for my amusement so, of course, I gave it a go, expecting a reasonable score.  I’ve been called a Grammar Nazi, and used to get quite pedantic when I was checking school reports in the days when that was an important part of my work.  Marilyn will tell you that I’m still prone  to correcting TV presenters when they use ‘less’ instead of ‘fewer’ and I have to hold myself in check in case I correct shop assistants and taxi drivers.  So, imagine my dismay when I got three questions wrong!  Apparently, I don’t understand the difference between the usage of ‘that’ and ‘which’.  I had always thought that they were interchangeable and that ‘which’ was a word used more by better-educated people.  Not so!  I’ve since looked it up and have tucked the rule away in the back of my brain so I don’t show my ignorance in the future.

This is the link to the quiz.  Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment