Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Wednesday, July 4th .....

American Independence Day!  It’s easy to make snide remarks about the Americans but we must wish them all the best on their special day. 

I have to talk about glasses today.  I’ve needed to wear reading glasses since about 1990 and I can’t count how many pairs I have destroyed or lost in that time.  If I had to wear them all the time, it might be different but I only put them on to read and have to take them off at other times ... and when I take them off, I forget about them so they fall to the floor or are sat upon or slip into crevices where they can’t be seen. Marilyn just shrugs her shoulders when I complain that I’ve lost my glasses, (but it doesn’t stop her borrowing a pair of mine when she can’t find hers).
Usually I have about half a dozen pairs on the go at any one time: a pair in the car, the caravan, my computer case, on the desk, and so on.  When I had my eyes checked in September, I had two more pairs made to top up my supply.  And I’ve been pretty good – not a single pair misplaced since then.  Or at least not until last week.
I was vaguely aware that a pair of my new glasses was missing but I wasn’t worried ; there were several other pairs to fall back on and I expected that the lost ones would turn up at some time.  And they did – I noticed them yesterday afternoon, buried in the ground near where I park the car.  I could just see the top of the rim peeking through the surface.  Clearly they had fallen on to the ground and the car had run over them, forcing them vertically into the dirt.  I couldn’t pull them out with the fingers and had to get a spade to chop out the whole sod. 
I thought they were deceased; maybe I should have left them buried.  But apart from being a bit bent and one of the lenses having popped out, there was nothing broken or missing so I rinsed the remains and took them in to the optometrist for a diagnosis.  “Leave them with me and come back in an hour. “  I can’t believe it; she worked a miracle and they look like new again and, best of all, there was no charge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment