Thursday, January 20, 2022

Friday, January 21

 

I’ve talked before about the amenities of Longford just to show that we’re not a one-horse town.  We even have a BWS.   It’s a simple square building with three lanes at the front. We occasionally drive in and I sit in the car while Marilyn pops in to choose her bubbles.  If I don’t go in with her, she can cajole one of the staff to carry the box out to our boot, saving me the embarrassment of showing my lack of fitness.

 

Because there are only three lanes, I often find myself sitting behind another car or, more likely, a farm truck with a scruffy dog in the back.  I watch as the other driver staggers out from the shop with his slab or two and drops them in the boot or the back of the ute.  Almost invariably, he tears open the slab and takes out a cold tinny to enjoy on the way home. Today, the vehicle in front was a reasonably clean modern sedan and the driver was better dressed.  The slab was a more expensive beer but, still the same pattern: it was ripped open, one taken out and joined the driver in the front seat.

 

Maybe I’ve lived a sheltered life, but I’ve never come across that behaviour before and I’m sure it must be against the law – drinking and driving and all that.  Or have we come to the wild, wild west where the rules are different?

 

If the local police are looking for a way to improve their arrest rate, I could help them out with some information.  Although, I wouldn’t be surprised if the police turn a blind eye to what doesn’t seem to do much harm.  I’m sure they are busy enough chasing real criminals.

No comments:

Post a Comment