Friday, January 14, 2022

Saturday, January 15

 

So, the Minister for immigration has bitten the bullet and cancelled Novak Djokavik’s visa.  It had to be done and Mr Hawke deserves our support.  He’s right to say that, if Djokovic had been allowed to stay, it would have given ammunition to the anti-vaxxers and it sends a positive message to people who are doing the right thing.

 

From a personal point of view, I couldn’t care less who plays in the Australian Open but I do get exercised about entitled, rich sports people who believe they are above the law.  I’ve never watched Tennis and don’t intend to start now.

 

Saying that, I used to watch Test Cricket avidly.  Forty years ago, we wouldn’t make plans for Summer activities if we couldn’t be sure we would be close to a TV.  We read the back pages of the newspaper in detail and discussed the various injuries of our heroes around the staff room table.

 

Then things changed.  Life took over and Cricket faded into the background.  However, yesterday was different.  The current test was to be played in Hobart, Australia is flying high, Covid is keeping us indoors.  It’s a perfect storm so this was the perfect opportunity for Marilyn and I to relive our younger days with Cricket on the telly.

 

I switched on at 11 but … nothing!  Check the guide and find it’s a day-night match and it won’t start until 2.  That’s a novice’s error and I realise how out of touch I am.  We turn back on at 2 but, still, nothing’s happening. There are groundsmen on the pitch and Ricky Ponting is pontificating out in the middle.  Is there a problem with summer time, or something?  Have I got the times wrong?  I give up, turn it off and go back to the book I am reading. 

 

At about 2.45, Marilyn suggests I have another look and, there they are, out on the pitch with Australia batting, and we have already lost a wicket.  That’s not what I expected!

 

We watch for an hour or two but the magic has gone.  The gladiatorial contest I was looking forward to has been replaced by a coterie of flannelled fools, numbly going through the motions.  All the hype of the Channel 7 and Sky commentators can’t take away from the fact that Cricket is the most unlikely spectator sport.  We were right to ditch it all those years ago and we won’t be going back.

No comments:

Post a Comment