Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Thursday, February 10

 

It’s my birthday and I’m not sure what I think about it.  I saw a kid in the supermarket the other day wearing a colourful badge saying “I’m 4” and I could feel his excitement.  I certainly don’t have that excitement about turning 79 and I don’t think even a colourful badge could change my mind.  I suppose I just have to get on with it.

 

Even though it was another hot day, we still managed to get some chores done yesterday.  Jamie came over and mowed the lawn, such as it is, but he also swept and raked up the grass.  He had a go at building the first of our pot plant shelves as well and it seems they will do the job very well.

 

I was having some trouble with my desktop computer; it’s getting slower and slower and I’m getting fed up with it.  Jamie had a look at it but he eventually declared that ‘It’s stuffed.’  He’s lost patience with the computer, and with me, because it’s clearly time to retire it.  But, I can’t help thinking that it’s the wrong time to be making a long-term decision.  Nera has lent me her Macbook and I’ll persevere with that for the time being.

 

We’ll go out for lunch today. My favourite restaurant is at the Launceston Gorge so I looked up the number yesterday to make a booking. The fellow on the ‘phone asked Marilyn if we would like to sit outside which confused her a bit; there’s no outside area that we know of.  The penny dropped.  We had rung the Gorge Restaurant when we should have rung the Basin Café.  They’re on different sides of the Gorge.

 

It would have been easy to change but we decided to leave it as it was.  It seems like a metaphor for life.  It could be argued that life is a series of missteps and mistakes.  The best way to deal with it is to make the best of the hand you are dealt and look for the positives in what you have to face.

 

Even at 79, life continues to surprise me.

No comments:

Post a Comment