Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Thursday, February 17

 

My brief love affair with audiobooks has come to an end.  It wasn’t a sudden thing; it was more like a gentle and mutual realisation that we were not compatible.  I don’t know what I expected from this relationship but, whatever it was, it was not what I got.

 

Like many relationships, it began with optimism: this is good, this will fulfil me, why didn’t I know about this sooner?  But the ending is slower, a petering-out until there is nothing left but the sweet memories of what might have been.

 

If I am honest, my lasting memory is of frustration: the frustration of listening to the beginning of innumerable books until I found a reader who satisfied me, then the slow awakening to the fact that listening to a book is not at all like reading it. Perhaps I felt like a voyeur, intruding on someone else’s pleasure.  Reading is an intensely personal experience and I didn’t feel comfortable listening-in. Maybe I felt like a guilty lover, who had committed himself to one love for his whole life and now finds himself tempted by a bright, new pretty face.  But the new love is strangely unsatisfying.

 

Enjoying my old love, reading words on a page, is like wearing a pair of comfortable slippers.  This is how it’s been for almost 75 years and it just feels right.

No comments:

Post a Comment