Sunday, March 6, 2022

Monday, March 7

 

They say you learn something new every day but sometimes I wish I could have more input to what that something is.  Most often, in my experience, the something new that I learn is just a bit of nonsense, of no consequence and, certainly, of no value in my quest to live to 100.  Like yesterday: I came across the expression ‘Smoky Dawson’ chair.  I had never heard that expression before so, the fact that I now know what it is means that it was the ‘new thing’ that I learned for Sunday, March 6, 2022.  I wish I had learned something different.

 

Of course, I remember Smoky Dawson, and I can still drag up memories of some of his songs, like My Wonderful Four-Legged Friend, but I had never thought of him in connection with a chair, unless it was a rocking chair on the cover of one of his albums.

 

When I looked it up on the internet, I was first taken to a site extolling the virtues of someone called Dawson who was a member of Cabramatta Rotary Club and who was receiving an award for something.  I switched off before I could learn any more.  I can’t afford to fill my brain with any more rubbish.  Eventually, I found the right site and the chair turned out to be one of those mechanical things which help you to stand up.  Apparently, a fellow, maybe called Dawson, invented it and someone, years ago, had the brainwave of using Smoky and his wife, Dot to advertise it. 

 

And, maybe the fact of knowing about Smoky Dawson chairs is a good thing.  It’s likely my lounge chair will need replacing soon and a Smoky Dawson chair could be just what I’m looking for.

 

By the way, Smoky died in 2008 at the age of 93, Dot held on for another couple of years and died when she was 104.

No comments:

Post a Comment