Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Wednesday, March 9

 

I realised this week that I needed to replace my jeans.  It’s not a big deal; they’re over-the-counter consumables, reasonably cheap and I generally buy them at the same place.  In fact, I’ve been wearing the same size for years so I could, conceivably, buy them on-line.  However, Marilyn’s always keen for a wander through Harris Scarfe, giving her a chance to check out what they have on sale.

 

I knew what brand and what style I wanted and was delighted to see they had a special offer of 3 for $70.  I had only planned to buy two pairs but another pair can only be a good thing.  They came in three colours, too, which seemed to be serendipitous.  I took a pair to try on and was surprised to find I was no longer the svelte 36 that I had been for years so had to settle for 38.  Still, it’s only 2 inches and that’s nothing.  The 36’s I had been wearing had obviously stretched with use and led me into a false sense of what I believed to be true.

 

When we got home, I started to take off all the labels and Marilyn suggested I try on each of the colours to be sure they were all the same before I de-labelled them.  To my surprise, one pair didn’t fit.  I checked and they all had a 38 label but, when I measured them, no two pairs were the same.  Two pairs were close enough but one was clearly a 36.  I was surprised.  We hear a lot about the evils of the Chinese clothes manufacturing industry but, in all the years I’ve been buying clothes made there, I can’t recall ever encountering a problem like this.  In any case, it was easily resolved.

 

By chance, a question on a quiz show we watched in the evening was ‘how many litres of water does it take to grow enough cotton to make a pair of jeans?’  The answer is 180.  I don’t know what to make of this information but it seems clear that we shouldn’t be trying to grow cotton in Australia, the driest continent on Earth.  And, maybe I shouldn’t have bought three pairs of jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment