Friday, February 10, 2017

Saturday, February 11

It was my birthday yesterday; not a particularly important event in the general scheme of things but it's nice to hear from people who might only contact me once a year.

In years gone by people kept little books in which they noted everybody's birthday and a week or so before the anticipated date they would buy a card from the newsagent and send it off. It must have been hard to keep track. If you had a big family or a reasonable number of friends, you would have to check the book every day. Marilyn has a book like the one I describe but she relies on memory. She still buys cards and, in fact, has a loyalty card from the card shop. But the days of mass card-buying are on the wane. No doubt the value of shares in Hallmark is dropping as people look to other ways of sending their best wishes.

Nowadays, Facebook takes the worry out of remembering special days. I got dozens of messages on Facebook yesterday, from several countries over three continents. Many were from genuine relatives and friends but, it is fair to say that others were from people I have never met. No matter - it's the thought that counts and it is reassuring to know that people respond positively to the Facebook reminder that it's my birthday.

Of course, in my more rational moments, I wonder how many of my well-wishers, in a Facebook-free world, would have taken the trouble to go to the card shop, spend $8, address the envelope and pay for a stamp, just to say Happy Birthday.

Oh, I should acknowledge the best comment received, from Nera's sister Jezelin and husband, Felix. 'Happy, happy birthday to the Sean Connery of our family...' .

No comments:

Post a Comment