Friday, February 3, 2017

Saturday, February 4

Marilyn's been pulling weeds out of the garden and piling them up for me to get rid of, so I decided I would stick them in the boot of the car and deliver them to Giant Steps' industrial bin. When I opened the lid of the bin, I noticed an old, shabby raincoat with the label turned towards me. It read, John Christie (002) 349842.

I scratched my head and remembered that I had bought the jacket (state of the art Goretex) in about 1973 and had left it at Giant Steps as a spare during my tenure. By its shabbiness, it had clearly been well-used in my absence so I think the bin was the right place for it. The telephone number? Probably our unit in Homebush where we lived before we moved to Hobart.

We've been watching a series from the UK called Five Days: a really powerful piece of work but only three series. Series 1 had five episodes, followed by a 2-part story, then a third series a couple of years later, with a whole new cast. Brilliant stuff but I would have been happy to see more. I looked up Wikipedia to read a review of Series 2 and thought I had stumbled on an article from Trainspotters' Weekly. There was nothing about the story, just breathless details of the stretch of railway line used in the filming, the model of rail car used and the name of the signal-box which appeared, briefly, in one scene. There was even a comment on which railway platform had been used for a couple of shots. As an afterthought, the author suggested that we might be interested in the fact that someone had committed suicide by jumping from a bridge in front of the afore-mentioned rail car. A classic case of too much (of the wrong) information.

No comments:

Post a Comment