Friday, June 23, 2023

Saturday, Jun 24

 We've had a couple of very cold days but today is a delight: bright sunshine and warm enough to leave our coats at home.  Yesterday was the return of my writing and poetry groups.  I can't understand why the committee thinks it necessary to have holidays: I know we're called the School for Seniors but, really, do we need a break from lessons?

Both groups were a bit short of members.  Because we have to re-enrol each term, we have an ever-changing roster of clientele, and some of our members are quite mobile and often find themselves in Sunny Queensland at this time of the year.  I hope a few more come back next week because there's. nothing worse than a small group of half a dozen trying to read and discuss poetry.

We had three new members in the Writing Group, which is good.  All women, but that can't be helped.  One of them, with a pronounced English accent claims she was born in Wollongong and moved to Manchester when she was young.  I'll have to investigate that further.  When we have new people, we always go around the table and introduce ourselves. Almost everyone complained about how hard it was to get published and some even whinged about not being able to find an agent!   When it was my turn, I announced that I had no interest in publishing and wrote for my own enjoyment.  One or two, happily, agreed with me.   Ross, the leader will have to think about his program because 12 people take a lot more time to read their stories than the 9 we had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment