Friday, October 13, 2023

Saturday, October 14

I've done my duty and have been to the local school to cast my vote in the Referendum.  I would normally have put up my hand to work at one of the polling stations but I decided this was the year to retire.  I've also ignored the invitation to supervise the end-of-year exams which I have done for ages.  The money was handy but all good things must come to an end.  Marilyn, on the other hand, is still willing and able, and I found her acting as Ballot Box Guard at the local school.  It will be a long day for her and I hope they find her a sitting-down job after a while.

Yesterday was my turn to lead the Poetry group and I had prepared a selection of interesting poems for us all to read.  I look for new poets or ones from other countries, but other members of the group stick to their old favourites, and that's OK.  My selection finished off with The Ballad of Freda and Barry by Victoria Wood.  It's not so much a poem as alternative lyrics to a 1928 Cole Porter song called Let's Do It.  It's a bit risqué and I wondered how it would be received but all went well.  

Freda and Barry sat one night

The sky was clear, the stars were bright

The wind was soft, the moon was up

Freda drained her cocoa cup

She licked her lips, she felt sublime

She switched off Gardeners' Question Time

Barry cringed in fear and dread

As Freda grabbed his tie and said,

Let's do it, ......       (the rest of it is on the internet:  Google it!)



No comments:

Post a Comment