Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Tuesday, December 6

Jamie was telling us about something they watched on Netflix: a show called The Professor and the Madman, and it sounded quite interesting but we seem to be out of the habit of watching TV so I was pleased to hear that the show was based on a book of the same name by Simon Winchester.  I've read his stuff before. He's the bloke who believes that Chinese sailors sailed around the world centuries before Europeans 'discovered' places like Australia and South America.

His book is also called The Professor and the Madman and is about the compilation of the first edition f The Oxford English Dictionary.  Yes, I know that it sounds boring and the only copy I could find was in PDF format so difficult to manage on a small tablet but I read it from cover to cover and found it fascinating.  We might even try to watch the Netflix version as well

No comments:

Post a Comment