Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Thursday, October 3

When he has a busy day planned, Jamie has got into the habit of dropping Archie the chihuahua off with us to spend the day.  Jamie says he is a 'therapy dog' and has to earn his keep by providing companionship to the two oldies.  He seems to enjoy coming and Marilyn spoils him outrageously.  

Now the weather is becoming better, she is in the habit of taking him for a short walk. She sees a walk as an important part of her own exercise routine and, recently, I've encouraged her to take the walker that I had to buy when I had my stroke. It gives her a bit of support and has a seat to sit on if she needs it.

Archie gets very excited when he's put on the lead and sets off full of energy.  But, he's only a little dog and, by the time they've reached the end of the block he wants to sit down for a rest.  Marilyn now simply bundles him into the basket on the walker and he comes home as a passenger, sitting up like Jacky.

As I wrote the last bit of that sentence I wondered who was Jacky and why is he remembered for sitting up?  I assumed it was an Australian expression but Google thinks not: it suggests that 'Jacky' refers to Little Jack Horner who 'sat in a corner' and said 'what a good boy am I'.  That fits the image of Archie sitting in the basket of the walker.

We're all dotty, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment