Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Wednesday, October 2

 I have a few jobs to do this morning and I'm trying to put them in some sort of order so that nothing is forgotten.  Writing this blog has jumped to the top of the list although it's probably not the one that Marilyn would like me to be making a priority: there's last night's washing-up still sitting there and a few things to picked up at the shop.  The washing-up is a particular issue.  For years now we have shoved everything into the dishwasher and washed it overnight but recently I started to question this process.  We're not cooking in the same way as we used to and not using as many pots and pans so a normal load in the dishwasher would be a few coffee mugs, a couple of plates and a handful of cutlery; hardly enough to warrant a 3-hour wash, rinse and repeat dishwasher cycle.  

The only way I could get Marilyn to agree to give up her favourite labour-saving device was if I became the chief manual dishwasher.  That's now the accepted rule of the kitchen.  I don't always get around to it in the evening but it's always there in the morning waiting for me. It didn't get done last night because we became involved in a great TV show; Night Sleeper.  It was particularly interesting to me because much of the action in the first couple of episodes took place in Motherwell, where my father was born.  My grandfather, John, left Gourdon on the East Coast of Scotland before the First World War and settled in Motherwell, taking a job in the local coal mine.  He married Janet Gore and my father was born in 1918.


No comments:

Post a Comment