Monday, October 3, 2022

Monday, October 3

I had to pop into the hospital this morning for an infusion.  I thought that 'infusion' had something to do with making tea, or some herbal potion prescribed by a witch.  In fact, it's much more scientific than that. I've been having trouble with my right hand: it's very stiff, I drop things and there's persistent tingling along the edge.  I've had it for years but it's getting much worse now.  My GP sent me to see a neurologist, who organised some tests and suggested these infusions might work. I have three sessions this week at the hospital.

It was an early start and they sat me down in a comfortable chair, put in a cannula and hooked me up to a bottle of this clear liquid.  Apparently it's made from blood products and the doctor in charge reminded me that it was a donated product and there might be a slight danger of picking up some horrible disease like HIV.  Bravely, I told them to go ahead.  They said I would have two bottles today and each would take a couple of hours to infuse. The bottle came in a cardboard box and I noticed the first one had a price label - $900!  Where are they buying this stuff?  Would they do better at  Chemist Warehouse?

Anyway, I had my two bottles today and will return tomorrow and Wednesday for more.  Let's hope it has some effect although the neurologist wasn't giving off particularly positive vibes when we last spoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment