Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Thursday, October 27

There's nothing particular in our lives to celebrate today. Marilyn is happy to be gong off to work but al I have to do is have my eyes checked and my hearing aid adjusted.  Oh, that it's come to this!

One bit of good news is that a juvenile Bar-tailed Godwit has set a world record with a 13,560 Km continuous flight from Alaska to Tasmania.  It took him (her?) 11 days and one hour.  In reading the details of the flight, I find that the bird did not fly alone; it was, probably, part of a flock but was carrying a satellite tag which allowed  it to be tracked. The flock left Alaska on October 11, took a route test of Hawaii and flew over Kiribati on October 19.  About 2 days later it flew over Vanuatu and continued south about 620Km east of Sydney.  On October 23, the bird and the rest of the flock, took a sharp right and arrived in Tasmania on October 25, landing at Ansons Bay in the north-east.

I confess I have never heard of a bar-tailed godwit but from now on it will be top of my Favourite Birds list.

No comments:

Post a Comment