Sunday, April 16, 2023

Monday, April 17

It's a big day today.  I didn't realise it when I woke up but, when I looked at the dull weather outside and felt the chill when I went out to the bin, I made the decision that today would be special.  Today would be the day that I would make the first porridge of the season.

The 'doings' have been sitting patiently in the pantry since the day last year that, filled with the joys of spring, I decided to put in my bowl a serving of commercial cereal flakes rather than the hearty, home-cooked porridge which has sustained me for many years.

I became lazy over the warmer months, going through boxes of Just Right, but today is the day that I revert to the customs of my ancestors and start the day with a bowl of porridge.  Unlike my ancestors, I won't be expected to put up with deep Highland snow and cold Highland winds around my bare legs but there's something fulfilling about a bowl of home-cooked porridge anyway.  Maybe I'm getting sentimental in my old age.

No comments:

Post a Comment