Wednesday, April 12, 2023

Thursday, April 13

 I arrived early for the Probus meeting yesterday and found jut a couple of members there.  One fellow sat at a desk with a cashbox in front of him and another was perched on a chair holding firmly to his walking stick.  They clearly weren't expecting a crowd as there were only 15 chairs lined up.  I introduced myself to the treasurer and he wrote down my name and took my money - $10, and Deloraine only asks for $5! However, I sat down about the middle.  Men arrived in dribs and drabs and I was generally ignored.

I had met the chairman before but he didn't acknowledge me, until the treasurer handed him a note.

"Oh, I'm told we have a guest ... John Christie from Deloraine."  Focusing his eye on a bloke at the end of the row, he said, "We hope you enjoy our meeting, Chris."  Not an auspicious start.

Anyway, the meeting was soon concluded, the guest speaker was interesting enough and the morning tea was outstanding.  I'll go back next month to give it another go,  

No comments:

Post a Comment