Saturday, April 15, 2023

Sunday, April 16

It's Mum's birthday today and it's great grand-daughter, Juniper's as well.  It was Nera's yesterday so we took her out for brunch.  Her friends were throwing a grand party for her last night; we were invited but we decided to leave it to the younger ones to let down their hair without having to put up with the oldies sitting in the corner with glum faces.

Brunch was good, though, at one of our favourite places: the Silos Hotel.  I always order Eggs Benedict with Smoked Salmon which is about $18 but I was encouraged to go for something a little more exotic: Potato Gnocchi with tomato, stracciatella, pangratto and basil for $33.  I had no idea what some of the ingredients were and it was almost twice the price and might have been awful but it was a social occasion,.

It was alright.  Lumps of gnocchi in a watery tomato base, and some cheese spread on top.  I googled pangratto and discovered it meant bread crumbs but I didn't notice them; they must have been around the gnocchi.  It might have been nicer if it came with a serving of garlic bread and I was still hungry when I had finished.   I'll have to remember it for next time: stick to what you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment