Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Thursday, January 19

When we first moved into our unit, a fellow gave me a couple of crowns of rhubarb which I duly planted. In fact, they were the first inhabitants of a planter box that I bought as I was aware I would be no good looking after plants at ground level.  The rhubarb thrived and, every few week or so, I pick 6 or 7 stalks which Marilyn stews for my cereal.  Not being a gardener, I didn't realise that the crowns have to be broken up each year or the garden will become over-crowded, like mine is now.

I can't keep up with the over-growth and none of my friends want the stuff.  I checked Google which told me smugly that I should have broken them up in early- Spring and, either, given away the extra crown or put them in the Fogo bin.  It's useless telling me what I should have done four months ago so I'll just have to make a note in my diary that, on September 1st, 2024, I must break up my rhubarb crowns.

I made an effort his morning and thinned out the stalks that are ready for eating and I collected 36.  They're all long, plump and healthy so I halved them, put them in bundles of 12 and tied them up with leftover Christmas ribbon.  Marilyn suggested I take them to the library (?) and leave them for people to take home.  The librarians were delighted to accept them so I piled them on a spare table and left quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment