Thursday, June 9, 2022

Friday, June 10

Every now and again I get an email from a crowd called Medium Daily Digest wanting me to subscibe to their regular newsletter.  I resist, of course; I'm too mean to pay for people's opinions and the internet is chock-a-block with opinions which I can read for nothing.

However, Medium is something else again. One of their authors is a man called Umair Haque who would probably describe himself as 'a brown person'.  He writes challenging articles in a very breezy, interesting style.  His latest article, this morning, is entitled 'How America Collapsed and Became a Fourth World Country'. 

He explains that, in his thinking, a Fourth World Country is one that is going backwards so fast that it is now a failed state and puts America, and Britain, in that category.  He goes on to explain: 'rich countries which have made themselves poor ones, liberal democracies who've given up on the project, and are reverting backwards to bombastic nationalism, theocracy (and) authoritarianism'.

I've been saying for years that America is a failed state and it's nice to have an author with an international audience agreeing with me.  I hadn't heard this but, since the shooting at Robb Elementary School last week, there were ten more shootings just at the weekend.  And what on earth is going on in the UK?  How can Boris still be the Prime Minister?  Have they no standards, or pride?


No comments:

Post a Comment