Sunday, June 5, 2022

Monday, June 6

As soon as I see this date, my mind thinks: 'D-Day, 6th June'.  It's mad, it's been 67 years since the end of World War 2, yet my consciousness is still driven by tropes from that time.  Is 'trope' the right word to use in that situation?  I hope it is.

Marilyn and I had to go into Launceston this morning to meet up with Nancy Corbett, the poet who has been organising the Poetry group I have been attending.  She is moving to Victoria but I wanted to buy two copies of her latest collection of poems so we met up at the library for a coffee to make the deal.

Launceston is never busy but it was good to see that there were reasonable numbers of people wandering around the shops.  I suppose we're unusual in not having suburban shopping centres like many larger cities. These attract customers away from the traditional High Streets which become like ghost towns.

It's always good to talk to Nancy.  I had never thought of 'poet' as an occupation but she seems to have made a living at it. I know she sells books of her poetry but she also runs seminars, attends festivals and so  on. She was pleased to hear that the books I bought are going to Kangaroo Valley which she knows well; at least one of the poems in the book was written about one of the creeks in the Valley. 

No comments:

Post a Comment