Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Thursday, June 23

My writing group starts up again tomorrow and the topic I've chosen to write about is Another World.  My mind started thinking about Outer Space and some of the more exotic location on this planet but nothing remotely like an interesting story started to gel in my brain.

Eventually, I decided to write about a fellow I follow on Youtube.  His name is Scott and he lives in Paisley in Scotland.  That, in itself, is not important; he could be called Mohammed and live in Tangiers perhaps because it is the world he inhabits which interests me rather than his nationality.  Scott's hobby is taking short trips usually only over 1 day, to various places using only public transport.  He calls his vlog Planes, Trains, Everything.

One day he might take a train to Oban on Scotland's west coast and a short plan trip to the island of Arran.  Another day, he will try out a new overnight bus trip to London, or compare the merits of travelling to London by train or plane. Recently, he flew  to Belfast to try Irish fish and chips.  This week, he found a special fare and flew to Billund in Denmark, home of Legoland, and returned via Tufrin in Italy. all for 21 pounds!

I realised that he and I live in very different worlds.  Tasmania is a great place to live but our public transport is a disgrace.  The lack of trains is a particular problem.  I'll post the story on 1000 Words or Less for anyone who is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment