Friday, June 10, 2022

Saturday, June 11

Marilyn has gone off to work this morning; the fact that it's Saturday doesn't stop the AEC from carrying out its duty.  I expect to have another quiet day but there is one unusual challenge that I have to fulfil.  Someone has given Jamie and Nera a lump of venison.  Unsure what to do, they have brought it to me with the expectation that I will turn it into a meal fit for a king.  That's the trouble with spending years building up a reputation that I am knowledgeable and wise; whenever anyone is faced with a difficult problem, they come to me to sort it out.

I've checked the internet for recipes: most of them call for things like rutabagas so I'll have to look that up.  Others want red wine or ale, neither of which I have in the house and I'm not keen to spend $20 on a bottle of Cab Sav just for a stew, and where can you buy just one can of ale?  There's a bottle of sherry in the pantry and I wonder if that might be a reasonable substitute.  I've stopped drinking and Marilyn only has champagne now so our liquor cabinet is sorely depleted.

I need to be methodical!  Choose a recipe, make a list of ingredients and hop in the car for a quick trip to the supermarket.  I'll use the slow cooker so it's a simple matter of chucking everything in and letting it look after itself.

Even though there are a number of farmers around here with flocks of deer, I've only eaten venison once before.  It was Christmas Day and we were enjoying Christmas Dinner at a hotel in Georgetown, north of here.  On the menu was Roast Venison which I thought was a strange choice for Christmas Dinner.  Surely there's something a bit suspect about eating reindeer on Christmas Day!  Nevertheless, I took the plunge and enjoyed it even though it was a bit dry and gamey.  I hope my stew will be as palatable.

PS I've found a recipe which also works with Elk, Antelope or Moose so I'll be able to use it often.

No comments:

Post a Comment