Sunday, August 14, 2022

Monday, August 15

I can see why retired people take up a hobby.  Today, I expect to be awake, or at least out of bed, for 15 hours.  Take out 45 minutes at the gym and an hour eating (that's generous), and I have more than 13 hours to fill with worthwhile and challenging activities.  Maybe I'll doze for an hour or so in the afternoon, but that still leaves about 12 hours.  What am I going to do?

I used to think that we were the fortunate species: the only one with the brainpower to develop activities to amuse and challenge ourselves; the only one with the intelligence to come up with the concept of paid work so that we didn't just loll around, like lions on the veldt or walruses on the Arctic seashore.

But, then they retire us in our 60s and we're expected to harness that much-vaunted brainpower to fill our days with meaningful and useful activity, until everything starts to shut down.  It's not easy.

Maybe I'll convince Marilyn that we need to watch a movie this afternoon.  We haven't seen a movie since watching a remake of Westside Story and that was months ago.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment