Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Thursday, August 18

Sadly, Marilyn's brother-in-law, Alan, has passed away.  He was a couple of years older than me and had been suffering from Parkinson's.  Marilyn and I will be flying to Sydney on Saturday to attend the funeral next week.

Anticipating this funeral, I checked that I had the appropriate clothes to wear. I don't think I've worn a suit for about 10 years and, as you'd expect, I can't get into the trousers anymore; they must have shrunk in the wardrobe. so we decided I should have them let out.  We know there's a place in Launceston where this can be done but we're keen to shop local so I checked the internet to see whether Longford had such a place.  And there it was: Oh Sew Fine with an address in the Main Street.  There was a link to a Facebook page but, when I checked, the latest entries were in 2015.  It didn't look promising but Marilyn rang the number on Monday and was told that it still operated and would be open on Wednesday between 10 and 2.

We fronted up yesterday morning and found the premises were a little wooden hut in the backyard of one of the old buildings of the town.  You could hardly get in the door for STUFF.  There were rolls of material stacked up haphazardly, scraps of leftover material, boxes, bags and more STUFF.  There was a narrow passageway between the STUFF leading to a corner where there was a sewing machine.  There were a couple of shelves high up on the LH wall covered with dozens of white plastic boxes, full of STUFF.

The woman who worked in this labyrinth was very happy to take our little job and promised it back by Friday.  She also makes coats for dogs so Marilyn is taking in Archie's measurement for a bespoke outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment