Thursday, November 10, 2022

Friday, November 11

 You can't pick the people you work with in this job.  There are some ex-teachers who know the ropes and are well on top of it; they're easy to work with.  There are other, retired people who have had successful careers in life and are now looking for ways to stay involved and to supplement their income.  They are generally competent and have a no-nonsense approach to the task.

And, there are some who clearly can't hold down a full-time job and make do with these casual positions.  They're a mixed bunch.  Some are keen and focused, anxious to make a good impression.  Others, though, can be a worry.

I had one yesterday as my off-sider, who rang all my alarm bells.  She began by complaining about the fellow she worked with the previous day, how he wouldn't let her do anything.  Her whole demeanour was meek and submissive and she seemed surprised and grateful when I asked her to mark the roll and it was fine.

But, then she began questioning the things I told her to do and I became fed up with her niggling.  I was told this morning that she had rung the supervisor last night to tell her she couldn't get on with the other staff and please take her off the books.  No real loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment