Sunday, November 6, 2022

Monday, November 7

I put together a collection of music for the car.  It's mostly stuff from the 60s: Dusty Springfield, The Carpenters and the like.  I only play it when I'm on my own and try to sing along as best I can.  The problem is that I can't get one of the songs out of my head.  It's Silver Threads and Golden Needles and I find it intruding on my thoughts even when I'm occupied with something else.

It's a song with no redeeming features and, even when it came out originally, we used to make fun of it, exaggerating the Southern American accent and 'twanging' the lyrics.  I think the phenonemon of having an unwanted song in your consciousness is called an 'ear worm': a very good description.

I don't remember ever thinking of Silver Threads ... as one of my favourite songs; it was always a bit of a joke and I was much more interested in the Everley Brothers but, more than 50 years later, it's haunting me.

No comments:

Post a Comment