Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Thursday, November 3

 I dropped my car off for service after the gym this morning and was walking home.  I had my walking stick with me as I find it useful to keep my balance and it makes people treat me with more courtesy.  There was a group of school kids coming towards me, taking up the whole width of the footpath but, as I got nearer, they clustered together to give me more room.

The tallest girl clearly wasn't satisfied with that and ordered them to 'get in a line'.  She repeated it several times, with a rising inflection in her voice and, eventually, the line was to her satisfaction: shortest in front and her at the back.  I almost saluted her as we passed but had to confine myself to muttering 'Thank you'.

It was an interesting story on the news about the 'five lions' who escaped from Taronga Zoo and threatened some people who were camping in the grounds.  Five lions?  One male adult and four cubs.  A beat-up, of course, but it reminded me of a time in Townsville when I took some of my students for a sleepover at the local Crocodile Farm.  The owner was one of my parents and was trying to launch this aspect of his business.  Where we pitched our tents was not far from the pond where the biggest crocodile lived.  Nothing went wrong, of course but I heard that, months later the old croc had escaped and was re-captured in the very paddock where we had been sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment