Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Wednesday, November 30

They say that most people don't notice many of the signs of getting old.  They can't avoid noticing that they are walking a little slower, that their back hurts when they climb stairs or they're just a touch forgetful.  But it's all the other stuff, all the other signs of decay, which we don't address.  We're all good at telling ourselves lies.  

And, if I'm honest I have to accept that everything is not as it was.  I am slower at picking up on cues.  If Marilyn says, as she did today, 'Bring me the mop and bucket,' I have to stop and think, "Where is it?  What does it look like?"  So, I'm much slower at reacting.  And, even, when it's in front of me, I don't always recognise it.  When looking for a mop bucket, my mental image is a cylindrical, galvanised iron pail with two rollers on the top and a foot pedal to move them closer together.  There is nothing like that in our house.

A mop bucket is, in fact, a brightly coloured oval-shaped container with two compartments, one of which can be made to spin by pressing a foot pedal.  What chance do I have?

A hundred times a day, also, I find myself making a mental note about something I have noticed or something that has occurred to me or something that I have found in the news.  The plan is that I can use it as a post in my blog.  I might as well not bother.  Within minutes of making the mental note, my mind is blank. When I sit down to write today's clever thought, there's nothing there.

It's frustrating when there's so much happening in the world which is worth a comment and I've missed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment