Friday, September 13, 2024

Saturday, September 14

 When I looked at today's date I had the thought that it was significant in some way.  September 14?  Surely something substantial and historic happened on this day back in history.  My mind wouldn't come up with any details so I turned to Google.  The trouble with Google is that it doesn't have any idea what is historically important and what is not so it answered my question within seconds but bombarded me with information which was of no interest nor significance to me, such as some baseball player who hit three home runs in a row, or that on this date in some year an American doctor carried out the first big toe transplant.  There must be a word for the phenomenon of attaching importance to trivial events in an attempt to make yourself look good or more important than you really are.

The most significant things I could find which happened on this day was that Rembrandt's painting The Night Watch was slashed in 1975, Britain carried out a nuclear test at Maralinga in 1957 and that Henry Bliss, in 1899, was the first man in the US to be killed by a tram (trolley bus).

Nothing to celebrate there then.

Maybe some people in Longford will be celebrating later today as it's the Grand Final of the local football competition.  The football ground is not far from us and they're already testing the sirens ready for the big game.  I'm sure there are many local residents who are already lining up to make sure they geta good seat.  At least they have a good day for it; the weather is beautiful

No comments:

Post a Comment