Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Wednesday, September 25

 When we arrived in Hobart in January 1975 to start my new job at Friends' School, the Principal took me in to meet the school's accountant to work out my salary details.  In hushed tones, I was told, "His name is Colin Fitzgerald and his brother is the Ambassador to China."  Being not remotely interested in politics nor the current relationships between the countries of the world, I didn't know whether to be impressed or shocked.  I knew that China was communist and mistrusted by many countries but that was about it. 

Later on, I found that there hadn't been an Australian ambassador to China since 1949 but Gough Whitlam, the relatively new Prime Minister was determined to form some sort of relationship with our most powerful neighbour.  Stephen Fitzgerald was chosen for the job.  Clearly, there were some who criticised the move but that's politics.  I think, looking back, Mr Fitzgerald did a remarkable job.

I might find out more because I've just discovered a book at the library called Comrade Ambassador which is all about this time.  It's an autobiography published in 2015 and, of course, I didn't have to physically visit the library to get it; it's an ebook which I downloaded and which will sit on my tablet for 14 days and then disappear.  I better get reading before that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment