Saturday, September 21, 2024

Sunday, September 22

My plans for today includes finding something to read; something I can get my teeth into and become absorbed with. It shouldn't be a problem. I've been a reader all my life.  Mum used to say that I would spend my Christmas Days absorbed in any book I had been given and ignoring any other presents.  And, as an adult, things didn't change.  I have always been a member of whatever Library we lived near and it would be my pattern to borrow the maximum number of books allowed and read and read until it was time to change them.

One of the great days of my life was when I bought my first ebook reader.  It was called a Bebook and could carry dozens of books on one SD card.  I remember it was made in the Netherlands but it has now been supplanted by the Kindle, part of the vast Amazon empire. I now read mostly on a small electronic Lenovo pad, having worn out several ebook readers over the years.

I have two available pads, the internet is at my fingertips, and our local library is full of books: access to books, though, is not the problem.  I'm finding that I can't become absorbed in a book to the same extent as I used to, and I'm sure it's a function of the aging process.  I might spend an hour or two on a good story, put it aside while I do something else and find, when I return to the story that I can't pick up the thread.

I've tried short stories but they're not satisfying; I've tried magazine articles but they're just trivial so I don't know where to turn.  At the moment, I spend most of my reading time on an online site called Quora, where people submit questions and other subscribers answer them.  It's low-level stuff and the content is inconsequential but I enjoy feeling superior to the poor souls who have nothing better to do than ask and answer questions from other poor souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment