Monday, March 27, 2023

Tuesday, March 28

My RACT magazine arrived yesterday, boasting that the organisation is celebrating 100 years of existence.  Reading the Letters to the Editor, I wondered whether they had reprinted some from the first issue because I bet they were no different then: 'don't people know to dip their headlights to oncoming traffic?', 'why does oncoming traffic up King Street think they have right of way?', 'I'm amazed at how many people don't understand how to use a roundabout', 'Please explain why drivers do not indicate until they are actually turning a corner'. 

Of course, the writers are not expecting anyone to answer their whinges; they're just looking to let off steam and the RACT magazine is a convenient place to do that.

The magazine did contain some interesting snippets about each of the past ten decades and how motoring has changed over the time.  Sadly, I'm been driving since 1962 so I've experienced more than half of those decades.

I generally ignore this magazine, leaving it on a shelf until it's chucked in the bin.  It's like all the free magazines we receive which are aimed at the older generation: full of advertisement for cruises and trips on the Indian Pacific.  Someone's worked out that our generation has enough money to travel and the time to do it.  Who would have thought?

No comments:

Post a Comment