Thursday, July 14, 2022

Friday, July 15

I have a couple of parcels on their way from eBay and wondered when they would arrive.  The only thing as good as receiving a parcel is the anticipation of knowing they're on their way.  It's easy to see where they are; there's a tracking facility on the app and I've used it from time to time.

This time I'm told the parcel was picked up by Aramex (formerly Fastway  Couriers) on July 8 at 10.44am. On July 10, it was being processed at a 'sortation facility' in Sydney. and is on its way to Tasmania.  My concern is that it has been through a 'sortation facility'.  I've never heard of such a thing.  Parcels used to be 'sorted' at the Post Office and I'm sure the room where it was done was a 'Sorting Room'.  Why has someone invented a new name for something that already had a name which described it perfectly.

I blame the Americans.  They're notorious for inventing new, more complicated words for things that already a name.  In proper English, we have anaesthetist, but the Americans prefer anaesthesiologist.  Who knows why.  New words like this are called neologisms and I was prepared to blame the Americans for this word as well until I discovered it was originally a French word, 'neologisme'.  Bloody French!

The other question is 'Why did Fastway Couriers change its name to Aramex?'  Well, Aramex is an American company which has just bought Fastway and doesn't think the old name good enough.  The official explanation is:

“The rebrand represents a powerful opportunity for our local franchise operators, and for the many Australian businesses looking to capitalise on global trends in online retail.”

Moderns companies have whole departments dedicated to writing this rubbish.

No comments:

Post a Comment