Friday, July 22, 2022

Saturday, July 23

I don't know what happened to Friday: somehow I neglected to write my morning thoughts so we'll never know what wisdom has been lost to the world.

I don't know where I'll be on October 6 but I wouldn't mind being in Carrbridge in Scotland.  It's a nondescript little town in the vicinity of Inverness and Aviemore but is becoming known for hosting the World Porridge  Making Contest.  The big prize, for the best porridge is the 'Golden Spurtle'!  For those not in the know, a spurtle is the thing used to stir the porridge. It's not a spoon; it's really no more than a stick.

Mum had a spurtle, made from a wooden spoon but, to make sure it wasn't mistaken for a spoon, she got Dad to saw off the bowl and sand down the splinters.  I have a spurtle, given to me by a friend, Derek, who found an interestingly-shaped stick which he worked on and made what I regard as a work of art.  Unfortunately, I don't use it now as I am getting too lazy to follow the old traditions, but it sits among the other art treasures in the lounge room.

Last year's winner at Carrbridge was Miriam Groot of the Netherlands.  She may never have seen Carrbridge; because of Covid, the 2020 and 2021 competitions were 'virtual'.  Entrants sent a video of themselves making porridge and explaining their specialty recipe.  I can't imagine how it could be judged fairly.

I have porridge nearly every morning and my specialty recipe could not be more simple.  I use generic oats, bought in a plastic bag but which I transfer to a large plastic jar with a red lid.  When I make my porridge, I put one lidful of the oats into a pyrex jug, add a small handful of sultanas and a half-teaspoon of salt.  Cover with cold water and cook for 2 minutes in the microwave.  Stir (with an ordinary spoon), and cook for another minute.  Stir, cook for 30 seconds; stir and cook for a final 30 seconds.

It may not win the Golden Spurtle but it works for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment