Friday, July 8, 2022

Saturday, July 9

It seems inevitable now but Boris Johnson has resigned as British PM.  You couldn't open a newspaper in the past few months without another story about a scandal or a mishap or a lack of judgement.  I liked the article this morning which mentioned a 'serial protester' outside Number 10 Downing Street was playing the theme music from the Benny Hill Show.  It's called Yakkety Sax and I can remember the end-credits of the show when a speeded-up Benny would charge through some trees to the strains of the manic music.  Very fitting for the demise of Boris, I would have thought.

It was sad news about the assassination of Shinzo Abe in Japan.  When I heard the news, I thought the reporter had said he had been shot by a man from Nowra.  What?  Only later I realised that the man was, in fact from Nara, a city not far from Kyoto.   I suppose it's an easy mistake to make; people from Nowra have to be watched when Japanese citizens are around.

No comments:

Post a Comment