Thursday, February 15, 2024

Friday, February 16

I normally wake about 7 and my first job is to make coffee. Marilyn likes to enjoy hers in bed with a book but I prefer my favourite chair with some rubbish show on TV.  This morning, though, it was 8 before I opened my eyes. Marilyn was still sound asleep so I decided not to disturb her.  I had just settled down with my first morning brew ready to watch a fascinating video about the new trains for Sydney when the doorbell rang.  It was our cleaning lady about 2 hours earlier than she normally arrives.  

There was a bit of a scatter but I'm sure the girl had seen it all before: we retired people can't be expected to  fit in with the routine of normal people.

Today is the first day of my Poetry and Writing groups at the School for Seniors and I'm looking forward to presenting my first story of the year.  I've called it The Mean Streets of Melbourne and it's about a hapless private detective trying to find evidence that someone is up to no good.  While I'm away, Daniel the gardener will arrive to do some of the heavy work in our tiny garden. Although I normally like to watch people doing jobs that would otherwise fall to me, I'll be just as happy to see the results of his labours when I get home.  One job is to take away a large, leather armchair which is starting to show signs of wear.  I've put up with the odd stain but it's now torn in two places so it has to go.  Shame, really, I liked it.  However, I can now start to make a case for getting one of those Smoky Dawson chairs which have a mechanical lift built in to help elderly people get to their feet.  I wonder if they sell them on Temu!

No comments:

Post a Comment