Friday, February 2, 2024

Saturday, February 3

 I learnt a new word today.  I was reading something on the internet about 'why Americans think they have it so bad'.  The erudite answer suggested that they 'don't properly grok how bad it can actually be.'

Grok?  I assumed it was a typo until I read it used again later in the comment, referring to pregnant women: 'the actual worse case was so bad they really didn't grok how bad it could be.'

Clearly this was something I needed to follow up.  Mr Google assured me it was a 'real' word  albeit 'American' and 'informal'.  The definitions suggested included 'understand something intuitively or by empathy', and 'establishing a rapport', eg nestling earth couple would like to find water brothers to grok with in peace'.

There's so much about that last example I struggle with and I've decided I don't need any new words, especially if they're like 'grok'.

No comments:

Post a Comment