Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Wednesday, February 14

I was quite pleased to get back to Probus this morning.  It's not that the meetings are particularly stimulating, but there's always a bit of chat, a guest speaker and a terrific morning tea.  There were three or  four members missing: a couple were still on holiday and one had a particularly important meeting he couldn't miss.  He's on the local Council and I suppose all his meetings are super-important.

The guest speaker was a local farmer who has been following up the history of his family.  The original settler in Tasmania was transported here after stealing a silk handkerchief.  After a while he was able to get some land and flourished, eventually building Longford House, one of the local stately homes.  The fellow who spoke to us was not a great orator and read from a screed he had prepared earlier.  I found it a bit tedious but those who had lived here longer were able to ask questions and make sensible comments.

Our next meeting, in March, is the AGM and I've been tagged to become Treasurer.  I suspected it would be on the cards because the fellow who held the position died towards the end of last year.  The stand-in has done the job before and wants rid of it.  As the new boy, I'm the first port of call.  I don't suppose I mind; it's not a big job and I can do to all on the computer.  As Marilyn says, it will help keep me out of mischief (or stop me buying stuff on Temu!)

No comments:

Post a Comment