Thursday, February 1, 2024

Friday, February 2

 It was all go here this morning.  Marilyn's cleaning lady was due and we had a call from our gardener to say he was coming as well to make up for what he had missed the last time when it poured with rain.  We never know at what time the cleaning lady will come; in fact, we don't even know who the cleaning lady will be.  Marilyn gets them through some government agency and I think it's policy not to make the relationships too cosy.  It would be too easy for a cleaning lady to take advantage of an old dear who only wanted someone to talk to.

I was looking forward to her coming because one of her tasks would be to change the sheets on the bed.  It's usually my job and I hate it.  I find it hurts my back lifting the heavy QS mattress to tuck in the bottom sheet.  When the cleaner arrived she turned out to be a young Asian girl who looked too frail to pick up a bucket let alone a mattress.  However, I kept out of her way and left her to get on with it.  Later, I had to tidy up the corners of the bottom sheet but that's was OK.

The gardener, in the meantime, used every sharp tool he had to decimate the overgrown New Zealand flax and other plants in the front yard.  It takes years for them to grow but only minutes to knock them back into shape.  I can't watch him because I'd be telling him to take it easy but, of course, he knows much better than I do what is required.  They're even shorter now than when we moved in.

Life can get back to normal now.

No comments:

Post a Comment