Sunday, April 17, 2022

Monday, April 18

 Months ago, Marilyn and I both applied to work at the upcoming election.  I've been involved in elections over a number of years but, buoyed by her success with the Census, Marilyn put her hand up for the first time. I had been in two minds about it; it's a long day and I'm not as fit as I would like.  My last stint was as Officer-in-Charge and I vowed I would never take a lead role again so I was careful to specify in my application that I was only interested in being an off-sider.

Someone didn't read the applications as my first offer was to be OIC at an inner-city polling station in Launceston.  I refused and another offer came a week or two later: to work as a general dogsbody at the small booth at Dilston.  I had been 2IC there the election before last and it was quite pleasant but, again, I told them I wasn't interested.  I remember we had to count the Senate papers on the floor because we didn't have enough tables and I wasn't going through that again.

Marilyn has been offered a place at the local Longford booth and she's delighted to accept.  We spent yesterday afternoon completing her on-line training and, as you would expect, it's all about COVID.  She sailed through the training and we're now into the countdown for the big day.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment